Please be aware that since the original outbreak of COVID-19, Phishing Scams regarding the disease have been on the rise. We are seeing higher than normal volumes of messages being blocked by our filter being targeted at our organization. However as some staff shift to utilizing remote services its now even more important to be conscious of these malicious messages. The Department of Homeland Security has warned individuals to remain vigilant for scams related to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency is encouraging individuals to remain vigilant and to continue to take the following precautions:
- Avoid Clicking on Links in Unsolicited emails
- Do not Open Attachments from Unsolicited or Unrecognized sources
- Use trusted sources – such as legitimate, government websites – for up-to-date, fact-based information about COVID-19
- Do not reveal personal or financial email in email, and do not respond to email solicitations for the information
- Verify a charity’s authenticity before donating. Review the Federal Trade Commission’s page on Charity Scams for more information
Example Phishing Message: